Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Coasters

So I guess I am definitely more ambitious then I thought...

I decided I wanted to create my own pattern.

After making two of the lovely coasters from Purl Soho. I decided I wanted to make two more in a different pattern. Because the friend of mine that is receiving these coasters is a huge Gamecock fan, as am I. I wanted to make a SC themed coaster. After searching  Ravelry which is almost always responsive to my very specific pattern needs I came up with this Carolina towel. Unfortunately for me I did not want something of this size but I did want to use a similar yarn so going down a gauge was not an option. I decided I was going to create my own pattern. I have been thinking about creating my own patterns since my friend Camille Yanair saw me knitting.

Camille is what I would call fearless and free spirited  (I hope she doesn't mind that I said this.) Anyway I made Camille a pair of fingerless mitties once and she saw that I made them from a pattern. Camille is so crafty that she designs her own jewelery and clothing!  (What an inspiration!) Anyway- long story short Camille told me that I shouldn't be working from a pattern but be creating my own patterns.

Since this exchange with Camille I have been thinking about making my own patterns so it only seemed natural to start my first design on the smallest knitted item I have ever made, Coasters. 

As a side note I will still follow patterns faithfully- but I like the challenge of creating my own!

So at about 11:30 last night I was whining for graph paper... I SWORE that Kyle had some at some point. Although it may have been in college 4 years ago, I know he used to have some. I opened my laptop and decided if I didn't have graph paper excel would have to work. So I used the columns as my stitches and the rows as my rows. (that sounds funny) I drew out the shape of South Carolina on the excel file.

Not realizing the gauge would have to change from the previous pattern I casted on my 19 stitches and  started working. Needless to say I have learned ALOT about designing patterns and about the third try in and 1:15am I know I got it right. So I am about to finish it now and see if it turned out like the state of South Carolina or more like a blob of stitches in the middle of a square.  I will post pictures of my endeavour a little later in the day.

1 comment: